Engineering short course on
Advanced Kalman Filter Theory,
taught by Michael Carroll.
Oct 2013 - Present, Raytheon.
Title: Engineering Fellow: R&D in autonomous systems, machine learning, artificial intelligence, sensor and cyber resource management; ontologies, natural language processing.
Oct 2003 - Feb 2013, Science Applications International Corporation
Title: Sr. Software Systems Engineer Duties: Software Integrator for GPS System Engineering and Integration contract at SAIC in El Segundo, CA. Leading SE&I effort for defining GPS net-centric operations: GPS vocabulary, OWL ontology, conversion of external ICDs to GIG (global information grid) metadata; developing Prolog rule-based logic programs to produce and analyze graphs of semantic and contextual relations; leading State Vector Working Group to integrate Kalman filter state vector propagation between space segment and ground segment for next generation GPS III program; developing Software Acquisition Management Plan for GPS Wing; leading GPS test vector program.
Formerly served as a senior software architects on the C-130 Avionics Modernization Program (AMP) at Boeing, Long Beach. Responsible for Combat Talon / Terrain Following software architecture. Contributes also to inertial navigation and Kalman filtering. Lead software engineer on Pre-DT&E demonstration aircraft flight program.
Mar 2001 - Oct 2003, BEI Systron Donner Inertial Division.
Title: Sr. Software Engineer Duties: Principal software engineer and analyst for C-MIGITS INS/GPS system. The C-MIGITS system is based on BEI's digital quartz inertial measurement unit (IMU) technology. It uses a 28-state Kalman filter to integrate inertial measurements with global positioning satellite (GPS) data. This line of business was recently acquired from Boeing and involves both real-time embedded software (TI C31 DSP processors) and test support / data reduction software. Current duties are concerned with analysis and design of new capabilities and the integration of new sensors with the C-MIGITS Kalman filter. Developing a covariance analysis simulation tool based on the C-MIGITS Kalman filter. Also generating system requirements for a DO-178B IMU.
Past duties included the development of a web-based database application that inventories and documents all software assets and artifacts (thousands of legacy C/C++ modules and test-related job control scripts and test data files, compilers, debuggers, etc.). The purpose of this effort was to foster understanding of the software architecture and components associated with this line of business and provide a database-driven support framework for software maintenance. The application uses J2EE technologies, specifically, JDBC, JSP, Servlets and JavaBeans. Using Forte for Java as the IDE and SQL Server on Win32 platforms. The middleware for this project consists of the Apache-Jakarta Project's Tomcat Servlet Engine, using Jakarta ant (Java-based make utility) and the Jakarta DBTags Tag Library. The legacy test support system will be migrated over the next year to a Java-based, platform-independent, distributed system.
May 2000 - Jan 2001, LookSmart,
Title: Director of Editorial Support Systems (ESS)
Duties: Directed team of 35-40 engineering employees and contractors in the development and maintenance of applications used by LookSmart editors to populate and extract from the LookSmart directory database. Duties included staff building, interfacing with internal (Editorial and Product groups) and external (Microsoft, Alta Vista, British Telecom / LookSmart) customers, suppliers (ATG), overseeing project pipelines, career development, software development process improvement, and architectural evolution. Teams included: Java (ATG Dynamo), ASP, and Delphi programmers; DB developers (tSQL stored procedures); DBAs (MS SQL Server and Oracle); project managers; and quality assurance engineers.
June 1995 - Present, CyberStrategies,
Title: President and CEO / CTO
corporate vision and strategy. Secured financing from investment community.
Initiated operations and managed day-to-day operations. Directed new business development and formed
key strategic partnerships. Developed
proposals and negotiated contracts.
Developed numerous database-driven, CGI-based web applications. Led
R&D projects exploring various B2B reverse auction architectures and
technologies, including J2EE (EJB, servlets, JSP, JTA), MS SQL Server, mSQL,
and mySQL. Consulted to Netscape Communications Corporation (professional
services team) on a project for the Jim Henson Company. Led team of eight IT professionals on a
Solaris, Oracle, Tuxedo-based bankcard funding and account management system. Provided system architecting support to
various e-commerce projects, including GTE's (now Verizon) Network Commerce
Platform, an e-commerce application development and hosting environment
(application service provider -- ASP).
Chief architect and programmer of iBO$ (Internet Bid Operating System),
an online reverse auction, RFQ/Bidding system.
Perl. See http://www.hotelsupplies.com/and http://www.medibuy.com/ for examples of iBO$
Also served as instructor at UC Riverside, teaching “Introduction to Modern Telecommunications,” “Internet and Intranet Fundamentals,” and “Information Systems Project Management.”
Title: Manager, Advanced Computer and Software Applications
Duties: Facilitated development of the Technology Broker System, a client/server information system enabling Lockheed technologists corporate-wide to share information, collaborate electronically, and match technical needs with capabilities. The Technology Broker System was an Intranet system patterned after the Internet. Also represented corporate science and engineering on various technology task forces including systems engineering, software engineering, advanced computation, avionics and electronics, electro-optics, and technical information management. Served as co-deputy editor of Lockheed Horizons magazine, member of editorial board of Lockheed Today newspaper, and program chairman for the Robert E. Gross Technical Excellence Awards program. Served as Lockheed’s representative on the executive steering committee for the Software Engineering Institute’s Systems Engineering Capability Maturity Model (SECMM).
1991 - 1992, Lockheed Aircraft Service Company
Title: Engineering Program Manager, Quiet Knight Program
Duties: Led team of 25-30 systems, software, mechanical and electrical design, and test engineers in the development and integration of an advanced avionics system for a special mission C-130 aircraft. Responsible for budget, schedule, and tasking of $30m engineering effort.
1989 - 1991, Lockheed Aircraft Service
Title: Lead Software Engineer, Quiet Knight Program
Duties: Managed team of 12 software engineers in the development of an operational flight program for a special mission C-130 aircraft.
1985 - 1989, Lockheed Aircraft Service
Title: Senior Software Engineer, Combat Talon Program
Duties: Led small team in the development of operational flight program for special mission C-130 aircraft.
1984 - 1985, Northrop Electronics Division
Title: Senior Systems Engineer, Peacekeeper Program
Duties: Developed acceptance test plans and verified results of calibration and alignment tests of ballistic missile inertial measurement units.
1982 - 1984, TRW
Redondo Beach, CA
Duties: Developed performance evaluation simulations of distributed data processing system for ground-based radar system (Sentry). Led software tool development for independent verification and validation effort (Peacekeeper).
· MA in Mathematics, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, 1979
· BA in Mathematics, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, 1977
· UC Education Abroad Program and Independent Study, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany, 1971-1976
· Institute of Navigation (ION)
· American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
· Phi Beta Kappa
· Robert E. Gross Award For Technical Excellence -- Lockheed's highest award for technical achievement
· Artificial Intelligence -- Markov Decision Processes (MDPs), machine learning (Q-learning)
· Computational Linguistics -- NLP, grammars, lex and yacc, logic programming
· Ontologies, Web Ontology Language (OWL)
· Strategic Planning and Technical Management
· Program and Project Management
· System Architecting: Internet-based applications
· Systems Engineering -, Requirements development, Kalman Filtering
· Electronic Commerce
· Teaching (currently teaching at UCR Extension: courses in Modern Telecommunications, MIS Project Management, Internet/Intranet Fundamentals)
Information Technology Skills
· Operating Systems: MS Windows 95/98, WinNT, 2000, UNIX (Solaris and Linux), VAX/VMS
· MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
· Databases: mySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle, mSQL, JDBC, DB2, DBI, MS Access, SPARQL
· Middleware / Application Servers: Tomcat, Jakarta DBTags Tag Library, BEA Weblogic, JOnAS (Java Open Application Server), IBM Websphere, BEA Systems Tuxedo, MS Active Server Pages / Transaction Server, Java Server Pages (JSP), Java Servlets
· Component Technologies: Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), CORBA, MS COM+
· Analyst Tools: Matlab, Simulink, Mathcad, ETAP
· Ontology Tools: TopBraid Composer Maestro, Protege
Modeling and Programming Languages
· OWL (Web Ontology Lanaguage)
· UML (Unified Modeling Language) (Visio and Rational Rose)
· Prolog, Python
· C / C++ (Visual C++, gcc, Borland C++)
· Perl and Bourne / bash shell scripting languages
· Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
· Fortran, Jovial
· German (fluent)
· French (reading)
· Spanish (reading)
· "Beneath the Vortals", Web Techniques, February 2000.
· "The Buzz Around B2B", Web Techniques, November 1998.
· Cyberstrategies - How to Build an Internet-based Information System, published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley) in the fall of 1995. Perhaps the first book on the subject of Intranets.
· "Lockheed's Own Information Superhighway", Lockheed Today, February 1995
· "The Nature of Software", Lockheed Horizons, December 1994
· "OSTP Guru Nelson Promotes National Information Infrastructure", HPC Select News, February 1994
· "Engineering Maps Out Designs for the Future", Lockheed Today, January 1994
· "Lockheed Leads in the Air", Lockheed Horizons, October 1993
· "New Directions in Systems Development", Lockheed Horizons, November 1993
"Integration at the Knowledge Level", Lockheed
Horizons, co-authored with Dr. William Mark, November 1993